Firefox 16.0.1 Description:
Firefox 16.0.1, the latest version of the popular web browser, now includes compatibility with web applications and a new toolbar for the developers.
Firefox 16.0.1 also promises performance improvements, faster responses to the keyboard and mouse actions, next to animations and games with better graphics. The web applications are available for the desktop versions of Firefox 16.0. Now it's up to the developers to get to work and create new apps for Firefox 16.0.1.
Firefox 16.0.1 includes a new system that manages the memory resources that was called garbage collector. Seen as a major update for the Firefox web browser, the new feature promises to considerably improve the app's reaction times and reduce the RAM consumption in the same time.
Another novelty for Firefox 16.0.1 is the introduction of the preliminary support for using web apps. Already available for the Google Chrome users, the web apps are extending the functionality of the web browser and offers direct access to various online services, like Youtube, or online games.
- Comprehensive popup controls to keep unwanted advertising off your desktop;
- A tab browsing mode that lets you open several pages in a single window, allowing you to load links in the background without leaving the page you're on;
- Integrated search (powered by Google);
- Industry leading accessibility with Find As You Type - find links and page text by simply typing;
- Simplified privacy controls that let you cover your tracks more effectively;
- A streamlined browser window that lets you see more of the page than any other browser while at the same time being more configurable;
- A large variety of free downloadable extensions and themes that add specific functionality and visual changes to the browser.
News in Firefox 16.0.1:
- Firefox on Mac OS X now has preliminary VoiceOver support turned on by default
- Initial web app support (Windows/Mac/Linux)
- Acholi and Kazakh localizations added
- New Developer Toolbar with buttons for quick access to tools, error count for the Web Console, and a new command line for quick keyboard access
- CSS3 Animations, Transitions, Transforms and Gradients unprefixed in Firefox 16
- Recently opened files list in Scratchpad implemented
- Debugger breakpoints do not catch on page reload (783393)
- No longer supporting MD5 as a hash algorithm in digital signatures (650355)
- Opus support by default (772341)
- Reverse animation direction has been implemented (655920)
- Per tab reporting in about:memory (687724)
- User Agent strings for pre-release Firefox versions now show only major version (728831)